DACA Update: Federal Judge FULLY RESTORES DACA! The Law Office of Travis Helm, Dec. 5, 2020
A federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to fully restore the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that was created by President Barak Obama in June of 2012. The DACA program protects undocumented individuals who entered the country as children and without maturity to make a choice about their immigration status. The ruling requires the Department of Homeland Security to begin accepting new applications for DACA as early as December 7, 2020.
Who is NOW eligible to apply for DACA?
1. Were under the age of 31 as of July 15, 2012;
2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
3. Were physically present in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
4. Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and at time applying for DACA;
5. Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
6. Are currently or have graduated from high school, attained GED, or honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
What are the benefits of applying for DACA?
DACA grants access to new jobs and spaces and more secure identities. DACA allows previously undocumented individuals the opportunity to obtain driver’s licenses, open bank accounts, and get jobs that provide financial independence rather than the low-wage, dead-end jobs that undocumented people are often forced to take.
1. Agreement with government not to deport while in compliance with DACA program
2. Employment authorization
3. Driver’s License
4. Educational Opportunities
5. Access to Occupational and Professional Licenses
6. A sense of belonging
7. A pathway forward
If you currently have DACA, had DACA in the past, or may be eligible for first time DACA application and/or Advance Parole, please contact our office to discuss your questions.
The Law Office of Travis Helm, LLC 121 Grand Ave., Suite 212, Laramie, WY 82070 Phone: (307) 460-2032 Web: www.helmimmigration.com